Monday, August 17, 2009

Stuff I've Read - Lupus Q & A

In the months since my diagnosis, I have spent as much time as I can reading, researching, and exploring. Anything I could get my hands on so that I could further understand this thing that had taken over my body and I am forced to live with for the rest of my life. The second book I read was "Lupus Q & A: Everything You Need to Know" by Robert G. Lahita, MD, Ph.D and Robert H. Phillips, Ph.D. (2004, Revised Edition, Avery). The authors are a rheumatologist who is a Professor of Medicine and Senior Attending Physician and a practicing psychologist who previously served on the board of directors for the Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. Looking at their credentials I figured they might know what they were talking about. Plus I thought the Q and A format of the book could answer all my questions.

The book is divided into six chapters covering an overview of the disease, diagnosis, symptoms, treatment of lupus as well as medications and the impact of Lupus. Each chapter is made up of a list of questions and answers. The questions have come from the countless number of patients that each of these professionals have treated in their practices and their goal, as clearly stated in the preface, was "to address patients' very real questions". The authors acknowledge that they cannot answer everyone's questions as this disease is so complex and each person's case is individualized, but they hope that the questions they answered are the ones most on the minds of patients as far as their experience goes. I discovered that all of the questions that had been bouncing around in my head were right there in the book. Plus many more questions that I didn't even know I had yet. While reading the book, I found myself going back to reread answers to questions and have even referred to the book on several occasions since I finished reading it.

Lupus Q & A is a great little reference book. There is no personal "this is what worked for me" aspect to it. It is strictly clinical answers from experienced medical professionals, but written in language that is easy to understand even in the densest of Lupus fogs. Definitely one I will keep on bookshelf.

Until next time. Take care of you,
Nicky

0 comments:

Post a Comment